Anti aging light therapy is becoming increasingly popular these days. Many beauty salons are now offering the red light treatments in addition to other rejuvenating skin treatments. Is the fuss justified?
How Does Red Light Therapy Work?
Red light from an LED at 633 nm is radiated into the skin and penetrates up to 10 mm. Light is a form of energy and this additional energy is at the right frequency to stimulate cell vitality. Production of collagen, elastin fibers and hyaluronen is enhanced, all of which improves skin elasticity. Research has shown that skin cells can grow up to twice as fast when exposed to light of certain frequencies. What this means to you is a younger, smoother skin and reduction in fine lines and wrinkles around mouth and elsewhere on your face.
This red light therapy does not mimic the effects of the sun, nor is it an infra-red (heat) treatment. The light is in the visible spectrum and the actual energy involved from the LED is low (although sufficient to generate the beneficial effects), so no damage can be done to your skin or underlying tissues.
Which Conditions Can Be Helped?
- Wrinkles, skin becomes smoother and younger-looking.
- Wounds, healing is promoted
- Broken capillaries improve as a result of the stimulated growth
- Age spots are replaced by new tissue.
- Scars should improve with time
- Sun damage, the skin gradually improves
- Acne is improved as well
Light therapy has other benefits too. For example, did you know that it can also be used for cold sores, mouth ulcers and gingivitis with a specialized device? One really popular device that is actually being prescribed in the UK to patients who suffer badly with cold sore outbreaks. What you do is to use the device as soon as you feel the tell-tale signs that you are developing a cold sore. If you are lucky, the blister will never appear.
It works because the light stimulates the body’s own defences to attack the Herpes virus that causes the cold sores. It has been proven to be more effective than topical medications and the device could be used for up to ten years! Whilst not specifically related to aging skin, this device does demonstrate that light can have physical effects within our skin and gives confidence that it does actually work to improve the condition of aging skin. Picture shows the Lipzor Cold Sore Light Treatment Machine which is getting great reviews on Amazon.
Red light therapy does NOT treat SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Lack of sufficient vitamin D, apart from causing SAD has also been associated with osteoporosis, breast and prostate cancer, a lowered immune system and new symptoms are being discovered all the time. Vitamin D is being shown to be much more important to health than previously realized.
This therapy is not a “quick fix” – it can take 3 weeks or more of daily treatment for the benefits to show. A continuous regime of treatments at a salon could prove costly. On the other hand, whilst initially quite expensive, home-use devices are cost-effective because you would very soon cover the cost of salon treatments. (Image is the Red & Blue LED Light Therapy for Face & Neck – Anti-Aging Phototherapy 225 LEDs device available from Amazon which gets good customer reviews.
If you discontinue the treatment, normal aging resumes. But once you’ve achieved the desired level of improvement red light therapy , daily treatment would no longer be necessary, and you should experiment to see how frequently you need to do the treatments to maintain the improvement – once a week should be enough. Of course, UV therapy requires daily treatments.
It seems red light therapy does work and promises great benefits no matter what your skin type or colour, but response is always individual. Studies have shown 88% of participants enjoyed some benefits. The remaining 12% probably had some benefit, but results might not have materialized during the time of the study. It definitely does seem worth while using this therapy, and while the initial outlay is relatively high, cost per treatment over an extended period or a lifetime it should certainly work out less than for supplements or skin creams.